You can find links to my papers in Google Scholar.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Flores, René D. and Ariela Schachter. Forthcoming. "Who are the 'illegals'?: The Social Construction of Illegality in the U.S." American Sociological Review.
- Flores, René D. Forthcoming. “A Little More Ghetto, a Little Less Cultured”: Are there Racial Stereotypes About Interracial Daters in the U.S.?" Sociology of Race and Ethnicity.
- Flores, René D. 2018. "Can Elites Shape Public Attitudes Towards Immigrants?: Evidence from the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election." Social Forces. 96: 1649-1690.
- Flores, René D. 2018. "Interviewing in the Eye of the Storm: Do Local Anti-immigrant Policies Have Social Consequences?" SAGE Research Methods Cases.
- Flores, René D. 2017. "Do Anti-immigrant Laws shape Public Sentiment?: A Study of Arizona′s SB 1070 using Twitter data.” American Journal of Sociology 123, no. 2, 333-384.
- Featured by Public News Service, Science Daily, The Society Pages, and The Daily of the University of Washington.
- Louis Wirth Best Article Award, ASA International Migration Section, 2018.
- Distinguished Contribution to Research Article Award, ASA Latina/o Sociology Section, 2018.
- Flores, René D. and Robert Vargas. 2017. "Medicaid Expansion and Ethnoracial Disparities in Health Insurance Coverage." Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies.
- Flores, René D. 2015a. "The Resurgence of Race in Spain: Perceptions of Discrimination Among Immigrants in Spain.” Social Forces. 94: 237-269.
- Flores, René D. 2015b. "Taking the Law Into their Own Hands: Do Local Anti-Immigrant Ordinances Increase Gun Sales?” Social Problems. 62, no. 3: 363-390.
- Excerpted April 9, 2016 in Contexts, "Building Walls, Buying Guns."
- Telles, Edward, René D. Flores and Fernando Urrea. 2015. "Why Skin Color is Better than Ethnoracial Identification at Predicting Inequality in Latin America?” Research in Social Stratification and Mobility. Vol. 40, 39−58.
- Flores, René D. 2014. "In the Eye of the Storm: How did Hazleton′s Restrictive Immigration Ordinance Affect Local Interethnic Relations?” American Behavioral Scientist. Vol. 58(13) 1743−1763.
- Telles, Edward and René D. Flores. 2013. "Not Just Color: Whiteness, Nation, and Status in Latin America.” Hispanic American Historical Review. Vol. 93.
- Flores, René D. and Edward Telles. 2012. "Social Stratification in Mexico: Disentangling Color, Ethnicity, and Class.” American Sociological Review. 77:4 86−94. [Comment on Villareal 2010.]
- Martínez Casas, Regina, Emiko Saldívar, René D. Flores and Christina Sue. 2014. "The Different Faces of Mestizaje: Ethnicity and Race in Mexico” in Edward Telles (ed) Pigmentocracies: Ethnicity, Race and Color in Latin America. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.
- Telles, Edward and René D. Flores. 2014. "A Reassessment of Ethnicity and Race in Latin America with PERLA findings” in Edward Telles (ed) Pigmentocracies: Ethnicity, Race and Color in Latin America. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.
- Miguel Angel Centeno, Jose Miguel Cruz, René D. Flores, and Gustavo Silva Cano. 2012. "Internal Wars and Latin American Nationalism,” in John A. Hall and Sinisa Malasevic (eds) Nationalism and War. Cambridge University Press.
- Flores, René D. and David Sumont. "Can Non-Ethnic Factors Shape Indigenous Identity in Latin America?: Evidence from National Survey Experiments." Under review.
- Flores, René D. "Are you the Company you Keep?: Romantic Relationships and Women′s Perceived Race.” Under review.
- Flores, René D. "Sticky Boundaries: Do Immigrants in Europe Feel Discriminated Against due to their Religion or Race?” Under review.